Tuesday, February 16, 2016

Quick hit

You no longer support what?

So, trying to use the Sony box the other night on the bedroom TV. Click the Youtube app, and a somewhat startling message comes up, to the effect that "Google no longer supports the YouTube app on this device."

What.The.Brick?

This is a SONY streaming box. I was not aware that Google could decide to stop "supporting" an app for YouTube (which it owns) and therefore cause my Sony streaming box to became a brick as far as use for watching YouTube. 

Thanks a lot Google.

Is this some strategic competition move? I know there's already a lot of shenanigans when it comes to Google and Amazon and streaming and apps on different devices (can't use the Amazon app on my iPhone to stream to Chromecast on the living room TV, for example).

I'll post more if I find out anything, other than, "too bad Mr. Consumer, thanks for playing."

No comments:

Post a Comment